Monday, August 31, 2009

One OS to rule them all

Well, I bought my first Mac earlier this year after being a long time Microsoft OS user since the early 80's. I purchased my sleek Macbook Air back in February, 2009 to play around with some iPhone programming. Last week I released the fruits of my labor - teamed up with some younger guys who wanted to develop a drinking reference app. Check it out at http://www.rizzlemania.com/.

After spending 6 months with the MacOS, I can say I should have switched years ago - perhaps a decade ago. Its my new favorite OS. Here's a nice tribute to its power as an OS (meant in a good way despite the evil Tolkien reference - which I found here):
Three OSes for the Microsoft-kings under the Redmond sky (Microsoft-DOS, Windows NT, Vista),
Seven for the Unix-Lords in their halls of stone (A/UX, AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, BSD, Minix, SunOS, UnixWare),
Nine (or 99) Mortal Linux Brands doomed to die (Mandriva, SuSE, Debian, Lindows, Red Hat, Knoppix, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware),
One for Lord Jobs in his dark shirt and jeans
In the Land of Cupertino where the Shadows lie
One OS to rule them all,
One OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all
and using a VM, bind them
In the Land of Cupertino where the Shadows lie
I'll gather up some of my cool Mac tricks I've learned over the past 6 months and share with you soon. Until then, I'll be developing some more apps for the iPhone and getting to know Snow Leopard a bit better :).

No comments: